Angel’s quinoa recipes are among our all-time favorites. I absolutely love the Mediterranean style, and when I have it in the fridge, I take it to work and have it cold for lunch. Yummy.
Angel is often asked, “What is Quinoa?” (pronounced Keen-wah) Here is what she tells them.
It's a seed that is cooked like a grain, but unlike most grains, Quinoa contains all the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.. Making it a great option for a meatless lunch or dinner. I like to use a mix of white and red quinoa. The red is a little harder to find, but it contains more fiber and has a nuttier taste. Anyway, I have made a gazillion different quinoa dishes, never the same twice...so how do I start?
I will start by saying, be creative, you do not have to follow this recipe exactly. Use the ingredients you have or what you can find and leave out what you don't like. Cook the quinoa preferably in chicken broth, but you can use water also, if you have no chicken broth or if you prefer to keep this vegetarian. Sometimes I sauté a little garlic and onion in the pan before adding one cup quinoa for every two cups liquid. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer. Cooks as quick, if not quicker than white rice. Let cool.
Mediterranean style:To cooled Quinoa, Add garbanzo beans, chopped tomatoes, kalamata olives halved, diced red onion, feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes and chopped parsley. In small bowl whisk olive oil, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and salt, pour over top and mix well. Use lemon juice and salt to taste. | Mexican style:To cooled Quinoa, add black beans, chopped tomato, corn, red onion, chopped serrano chiles or chopped roasted poblano chile, cilantro and queso fresco. Use lime and salt to taste. |
No comments:
Post a Comment